I looked in the fridge at what I had...and made this up. I love colour in my food. Generally if your plate is full of beige stuff, it’s going to be crap for you no matter what style of eating plan or diet you follow and no doubt FULL of carbs.
This will make 6 serves as a side for breakfast (add bacon, egg, avo etc) or 4 serves for main meal (add a piece of grilled fish or chicken breast etc). If you can chop & grate, you can make this.
Olive Oil, 1tbsp = 0g Carb
Brown Onion, 70g (1 medium) – diced = 6g Carb
Garlic Cloves, 15g (3 decent cloves) – crushed / finely chopped = 5g Carb
Capsicum, 100g (1 medium or half each of two colours) – cut in strips = 9g Carb
Spring Onion, 50g (2 or 3) – chopped = 3g Carb
Zucchini, 180g (1 medium) – grated = 6g Carb
Semi-dried Tomato strips (I used Sandhurst brand), 15g – diced = 6g Carb
Chilli Flakes, 5g (1 tsp) = 0g Carb
Cracked Black Pepper, 5g (1tsp) = 0g Carb
Salt (I use Herbamare), 5g (1tsp) = 0g Carb
Tomatoes, 500g (any variety of combo) – chunky diced = 18g Carb
Fresh Herbs, 4tbs – chopped = 0g Carb
TOTAL Carbs for Recipe = 53g
Carbs per Serve – 6 serves = 8.8g / 4 serves = 13.25g
- Heat oil & add garlic & onion & sauté for 2-3 minutes until it smells great.
- Add all other ingredients except for tomatoes & cook stirring for 3-4 minutes until veg has softened a bit but not overcooked to mush.
- Add tomatoes to the mix and cook stirring for 4-5 minutes until they’ve cooked down & softened.
- Remove from heat & stir through fresh herbs (keep a bit of fresh stuff for garnishing if you want to be fancy)
- Serve as is or with any good choices of low carb accompaniment – I added a poached egg (double yolker!) & some more fresh cracked pepper – delicious!
Poached Egg / Bacon
Smoked Salmon / Cream Cheese
Avocado / Rare Beef Slices
Cover in diced roast chicken & cheese and melt under a grill (mmmmm…cheese)
You know what you like so feel free to mix it up. Take out the chilli? Add more chilli? Take out the semi-dried tomatoes and save a few carbs? – Go for it! I was using up what I had on hand & I recommend you do the same. Just try to keep track of any addition or subtraction of carbs through what you add or take away from the recipe.
This kind of thing is ideal if you have to cook separately for you & family members as you can freeze it. I use zip lock bags for smaller portions or take away containers if it’s for two or more serves.
Use whatever fresh herbs you like – I used oregano & lemon thyme as I have heaps growing in the garden.
*Herbamare is a vegetable based salt - available at standard supermarkets and health food stores. You may have to search but worth it when you find it.